Saturday, July 10, 2021

Final Update: Meta Housecleaning Progress Report

A metaphor, if you will...

Starting back in May then again in June, and then again finally (one hopes) this month, I've been spending a few hours at a time trying to clean up this mess left behind by Google after taking over Blogger and consequently messing everything up. It's been more than a little like herding squirrels, hand-in-glove with losing control of everything on-line. Relocated over a couple dozen in just a couple weeks... every time it seems like I get caught up, another wave of rodents infests the woods around the cabin. Not quite as bad as it got a couple years ago, where I think the seasonal total was around thirty-six transplants.

(Back when I was keeping track off to the side before it all exponentially multiplied)

Which brings me to the whack-a-mole that resulted from theoretically wrapping the reposting up with one last deep dive into the archives, even after exhuming external storage no less. I replaced a couple dozen images (discovering ten more along the way) on a supposed final sortie, then on a lark scrolled just a wee bit further back, and found a mother-lode of seventy-five more holes. Three steps forward/two steps back to my mounting dismay. 

Again affecting only the top image in each post

Again, it’s inconsistent in not all images are gone, only some of them, and always only the main cartoon post image (ie the first one on the post, so usually the published “Nuggets” version, and not any of the alternative versions or works-in-progress, penciled variations, thumbnails or any other photographs). I’ve never, ever done a damn thing different over all these years when uploading theses posts either. So it ain’t anything on my end. Still haven't heard anything back from queries posted to the online Help community either.

I did wind up supplementing my searches with the Wayback Machine, as sometimes there wasn't enough contextual information on the original post to figure out what the missing image even was. Even still, there were a handful of posts that had to be deleted, or my new custom placeholder left instead (see below).

Grand total - and I know this after scrolling over each and every one of the 2,196 posts to date - was 259 missing images, so overall the perspective wasn't that bad. I just really feel stupid like having a virtual "kick me" sign hung on your back. And just over 150mb of images were reposted, so nowhere near the new data cap. But I still have no idea when or why it happened to begin with, or if it will happen again at some point in the future.

"any day now"

The best part about trolling through my own archives was uncovering all sorts of funny nuggets. Like take this one for instance: I highlighted the hilarious part about where I thought this blog was going. Still carrying on - thanks for reading, and especially for overlooking all the missing links.

Now I can finally get back to tackling the white whale that I started chasing over spring break: finishing the grand unification of all online archives and portfolios with cross-indexing my archives and platforms. After rounding up some more squirrels.

(my new default placeholder for any future misplaced image files)

No comments:

Post a Comment