Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Update: Meta Housecleaning Progress Report


Finally getting around to some virtual housecleaning following up on my meta post last month about the unfolding fiasco. So far in the past 24-hours I’ve replaced over a hundred missing images (55MB off the new data cap – thanks a lot Google), with another 40-odd more to go. This is all without having to do a deep-dive into external storage, and I sometimes even have had the web-resolution version already on another platform like in a Facebook photo album. Sometimes I’ll have to open the original TIF file/print version and resize a web-ready image in Photoshop, but that’s fairly easy enough to do during the hunt-and-destroy missions in the morning over some coffee. 

But it’s a depressing Sisyphean task in that every time I search my blog’s archives to locate the specific post which needs to be fixed (I normally screen-grab them as I find them) I'll inevitably unearth more posts with missing images. They are easy to spot since the “minus symbol” always shows up on top of the post… which is actually extra-maddening since, as one can see from the grabs above, all the other secondary images in the posts are always still there.


It never ends and is really starting to piss me off. Mind you coming across as unprofessional isn’t exactly a going concern of mine personally, but this just looks bad. So I’ll probably create a placeholder for the images I haven’t yet been able to re-upload putting the blame squarely on Blogger/Google. Not that they particularly give a shit about a relative nobody in the middle of nowhere (still no response to my repeated pleas for assistance on the issue), but I honestly can’t say I’ll ever recommend the platform again now, or offer it as an option to future students, and undertake a campaign of awareness on other social media accounts warning folks about the reliability of Google/Blogger. Bonus points for irony in posting about it here – maybe there’s a Google counterpart to Zuckerberg that’ll put me in Blogger jail. Oh well, my time here is definitely limited now anyways and the clock is ticking… time to buy some more Forever Stamps!

1 comment: