Sunday, September 6, 2026

"The New Guy" + "The Roomate"

Not just another double-header post but this morning there's twice as much walrus on the table too. This first one was a real belly-flop of a demo. Every once in a while when doing the performing art thing in front of folks there's a subliminal pressure to if not make a somewhat decent drawing, then at least do it quick. I suppose for most folks watching someone pencil and ink a panel in is about as engrossing as a cooking show (which my classroom demos are structured like having pieces prepped at varying stages of development like making a quiche); similar to literally watching paint - or ink in this case - dry. After all, there's a big audience for fishing and golfing shows, and I know my own personal proclivity for falling under the spell of an entrancing artist in person or even watching documentaries (here's what I'm talking about).

Anyways, I messed this one up and it required a lot of digital editing ("I'll fix it in post"), like for example deleting the nostrils because they wound up looking like alien eyeballs. In retrospect the bath mat that's over the edge of the tub should be on the floor, and it ought to be a fluffy white towel as indicated on the sketchbook rough. But then again once you go down that road you lose sight of the fact that the roommate is a walrus and at what point does the illusion fall apart that this is a cartoon.

Next is an excellent example of the considerable evolution of an idea that can sometimes be fleshed out in imagination or at other times, as in this case, needed to be doodled out first then fermented a while in the sketchbook, and then tweaked on paper. The choice to swap out the scenario into a circus setting was a bit more complex, as evidenced by the advanced doodle done while at a faculty meeting, where I'm usually the only one without a laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment