Sunday, December 10, 2023

"Talking Animals"

As an aside to this panel, I was admonishing myself in the midst of coloring it about the degree of detail - okay, wondering once again why I insist on setting myself up with such pain in the arse panels. But afterwards in review of the recent batch of work (one reason I was perhaps either in a hurry and/or burning out) it not only stood out but was really personally validating. In other words it was a rare introspective moment of satisfaction that, for me, makes it all worthwhile.

Every once in a while there are certain panels - comparatively few and far between - that are deliberately not intended to be knee-slapping gags but a more quiet, insightful observation instead. While the subtle irony of a critter commenting on cartoons while itself using the English language isn't haw-haw funny per say, it's a sweet little moment that says a lot with very little. There's a bonus tip of the hat to one of my favorite causes as well, what with the well-established connection between reading to kids and establishing a life-long love of literacy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment