Sunday, May 23, 2021

"I Swear I Saw One"

Many years ago when I was still a biker I had a memorable near-miss one evening while coming around the bend on my way home after work. Since I was wearing sunglasses I could barely make out four mysterious lumps on the road ahead, as my line-of-sight perspective couldn't see the above-attached moose standing in the way as it was camouflaged against a backdrop of black spruce. My excessive rate of speed meant standing up on the brakes while fishtailing to a stop in time - close enough to mentally note that the motorcycles would have made it just fine (sans one windshield) but I would have wound up like a scene straight outta the Road-Runner show and left quite an impression.

Posted down below is the original ink drawing scanned from a sketchbook - inked in with a dip-pen as opposed to the usual ballpoint doodle, and you can see the degree of digital manipulation this particular panel underwent. Obviously the most important post-production element was the inclusion of the cartoon's namesake.

All that said, in the real world, these walking carpets stick out like a sore thumb, or a lame hoof. Take this unusual species of bird. I need to send this to Moose Drool. Mmmm...



No comments:

Post a Comment