Sunday, January 30, 2022

"We Got A Tail"

This is one that I feel could have just run as a raw doodle, and I completely botched the first attempt at penciling it out on Bristol, but in retrospect I just love the beaver in all of his manifestations. And I am just having an absolute blast with the coloring, in case you couldn't tell.

That said, it was another important reminder to never fall too much in love with what you're doing, because you might just need to step away and let it go later. Especially if an objective appraisal results in a self-critique where you gotta admit you can't fix it, so time to start over. Which is actually one of the best things about drawing: you can always try again.

Being on-site, and without my usual handy heat-gun (with which I speed up the drying process after inking), I had to come up with a creative solution to transporting this original that still had some fresh, wet ink. Aside from having all the subtlety of a jet engine, the bathroom hand-drier narrowly avoided creating a customized Rorschach when it inadvertently began a blowout across the Bristol.

No comments:

Post a Comment