Saturday, September 14, 2019

Just Throwing It Out There: Another Freeze-Frame/TBT Repost


Time once again to dump some dusty classics culled from the ol' archives. Every so often for Throwback Thursday on social media I'll upload a Freeze-Frame just to showcase either A) how bad I was, or B) how good I was, depending on my mood.
One element that always amuses me to no end is how I'd invariably wind up with at least one of the four border lines for my panels going askew. Back in the day when advanced tools like t-squares were a high-tech upgrade.
The above image was also used a the front cover of my first book published in 1993.


These being from several decades ago I'd like to think both my rendering skills and/or refined sense of humor has somewhat evolved. At the very least it's a reminder to relax my ever-tightening death-grip on definition, meaning and technique.


Similar to the often observed spontaneity and comparative creative freedom young children enjoy: after study and reflection, one shouldn't forget the simple, basic pleasure of just drawing. No trepidation or paralysis-through-analysis over "why"... just stop worrying and do the damn doodle.


Another lesson I take away with these occasional reviews is how the absence of certain aesthetic attributes never necessarily means the work suffers. For example, these days I'm pretty meticulous about enhancing contrast and depth through the usage of gradations in value in conjunction with cast shadows. Not here - doesn't really need it.


Bonus: Here's the original caption line, which proves how crucial editing skills are - not just for the drawing itself - but  just as importantly the verbage too. Assuming, of course, that it's funny to begin with. Something something something brevity.


bla bla bla


In all seriousness this was based on real-life experience: one of the innumerable cabins I lived in over the years up here decided to spring a leak. What I remember mostly is how it's always more of an exquisite variation on water torture when the drips hit the containers.

 
Once in a while I can't resist tweaking some detail or another that has annoyed me over the years - in this instance the digital editing of one of the cigarettes. Maybe it's on account of me not having any smokes for over a year and a half now.

PS: Here's linkage to the last two installations from last year of this exercise in navel-gazing nostalgia: February and December... enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment