Saturday, January 25, 2014

"De-Furred Maintenance"


Ahh the joys of living in close quarters with a small herd of other mammals. I was originally inspired for this piece by the futility + frustration at attempting to frame two-dozen prints for last year's anniversary exhibition: regardless of my efforts it seemed errant hairs would magically transport themselves under the glass. Bonus points for the hippy reference...
"Give me a head with hair, long beautiful hair, shining gleaming steaming flaxen waxen. Give me it down to there, hair, shoulder length or longer, here, baby, there, mamma, everywhere, daddy daddy hair! Flow it, show it, long as God can grow it, my hair!"

This is also an amusing opportunity to point out the occasional variation in "real-estate" the weekly feature occupies in print. While size ain't everything, and there might be a correlation with how big a laugh the editor (or layout artist in this specific case!) gets from the piece when it's submitted and how large it consequently appears on the page. Regardless, the cat is always more interested in the crossword puzzle.

"I don't get it"

No comments:

Post a Comment