Sunday, April 11, 2010

Griffy's Top 40

"Alright, you!! Imitate a WOUNDED SEAL pleading for a PARKING SPACE!!" - Zippy
 Reposted from the excellent Cartoon SNAP blog by cartoonist Sherm Cohen: the legendary Bill Griffith, creator of "Zippy the Pinhead" offers his "Top 40 List on Comics And Their Creation" (sample page posted - find the rest here).


"A wide-eyed, innocent UNICORN, poised delicately in a MEADOW filled with LILACS, LOLLIPOPS & small CHILDREN at the HUSH of twilight??" - Zippy
Zippy is one of two characters from the underground days that still occupy the limited space in my brain (the other being S. Clay Wilson's "Checkered Demon"): Griffith's work is the closest manifestation of a zen-like perspective on life still maintaining a playful and profound presence in alternative comics.
"Yow! Am I having fun yet?" - Zippy
Taken together with the previous post on Mark Anderson's "Blog Like A Cartoonist" offering I'm already amped up in anticipation of this summer's Cartoon & Comic Art course. Never fails: whenever I learn anything it makes me wanna teach, and in the same instance, reading comics makes me reach for the pencil.
"YOW!!! I am having fun!!!" - Zippy

No comments:

Post a Comment