Sunday, October 22, 2023

"Curling" (aka "Slick Roads")

 
For this particular panel I had to demonstrate to a Beginning Drawing class the process behind creating one of my panels, ostensibly for a pen + ink exercise, but as usual it illustrated the entire sequence of moving from an initial concept to the finished print version.

It was humbling to realize how ignorant I was - a common enough occurrence - on how to render the activity accurately (see a recent example of this breakdown behind another cartoon here) not to mention being woefully outdated in my mental image of the props involved. So students got to see firsthand the evolution of an idea that encompassed using reference photos... and a bonus model.

One example was the antiquated assumption that contemporary curling still employed actual brooms, along with discovering the newfangled rocks that are used nowadays. As it turned out someone was actually a member of the university team, and so was able to assume the position for a quick sketch: gold star!

Hopefully this will inspire me to take up a new winter activity, one which by all accounts involves copious libations, similar to bowling. Now all I gotta do is get around to learning how to draw cars. And dogs. And people. Ahh nevermind... I'll just be a cartoonist.

No comments:

Post a Comment