Sunday, January 1, 2023

Cheers: Out With the New, In WIth the Old

Here's my most favorite one of the whole year. Likely it'll never progress into a print version as I both like the simple sketchbook aesthetic as it melds with the concept, but also a somewhat tacit acknowledgement that it's kinda so personal it wouldn't be particularly effective as a feature for the funny. 

On the other hand when I look back at the work-in-progress snapshot done while doodling at the office/outreach studio it would work inked up proper, as opposed to the ballpoint + wash.

One of my favorite house mugs at the aforementioned mobile drawing location. Always makes me empathize with the mutual "starting to sow signs of cracking up but still managing to keep everything together and get the job done." Relatable.

Continuing on with a trifecta of on-site examples of the exhaustive, introspective and creative process behind coming up with ideas, a friend scored a surreptitious snapshot of the "artist at work." Wasn't drawing the exact same doodle nor drinking from the same cup but for all practical purposes might as well have been. It only would have been a matter of timing as when the opportunity presents itself I'll quickly fall into a routine of being first in the door, bakers hours on the off days from the morning class, so I stay in shape for 6am sorties. Case in point that this series was taken from a few weeks of regular weekend sketchbook sessions at one of the better cafes in our neck of the woods. It's a really good photograph: the composition is excellent.

A visual reminder of why I normally don't wield any dip pens while out in public. The exception being in the studio as documented here. There are times I definitely could use containment booms around me while slingin' ink. I typically just hold the jar in my opposite hand as I work, which was why years ago when dreadfully sick I sneezed while clutching an newly opened bottle and got a mouthful. Which made for some pretty horrific zombie gums for a while.

image Chaweinta

Speaking of the undead, this semester was a real challenge.  It was my first ever as full-time faculty after over fifty as an adjunct. Not quite an actual professor, more like an adjunct with benefits. Relearning time-management skills along with daily, at times hourly lessons in patience + tolerance. 

image: Casey

An equal 3-part harmony of faculty + staff + students is a crucial tripod in the perpetual balancing act of education. But I always still gotta rank the continual exposure to amazing output as one of the primary reasons to put pants on, shave and go to work every day. The Significant Otter claims I always say this, but at the end of each & every semester I say it was the best one ever. Long as that doesn't stop I'm in.

All that being said there's a seriously compelling selling point on staying home (unshaven and in pj's) when there's a couple fuzzy sirens lulling you off to treats and a nap. 

Consider the pressure of being forced to endure such adorable workplace harassment with this much pressure at one's elbow, or right there in your face... talk about inspiration falling right into your lap.

"HEY! My eyes are UP HERE!"

If there ever was a metaphor for the past year and summing up the upcoming one as well, it's dealing with crap and turning it into art. Or at least a good laugh. Stay safe folks.

2 comments: