Friday, August 6, 2021

"Baked Alaska" #29-#32

 

 

Disclaimer re: not much in the way of process anymore for this particular series, probably on account of me falling into a repeating pattern of “oh shit is it that time of the month again already?” and subsequent need to panic come up with a panel real quick. Might also point up the fact that a lot of these early panels are still the low hanging fruit as far as funnies go. Aside from the obvious pun about ones stash running dry, building up a bank of material to literally draw from is just a prudent policy. Then again, one could make a point about spontaneity being an integral aspect of the creative process… though I rarely see that reflected in the general quality of work generated by my drawing students on the deadline before critique day. Join us after the jump for another selection of the finest handcrafted funnies on the frontier.

 


There’s a line in the classic anthem that always caught my ear when it mentions “big nuggets” for obvious reasons, but now with the bonus double-entendre it’s an ear-a-sistable pun.


Plus I legit get to work on my depictions of stoned moose in fields of marijuana, which stems from the very first day rolling out the feature.

Bears with the munchies and pizza. What else can I possibly add. Okay maybe some jalapeƱos + pineapple. And pepperoncinis. And extra cheese too.

But seriously, the whole dumb stoner shtick is actually an ignorant trope – just ask all the overachievers out there (Michael Phelps to Carl Sagan). Though funny how we never see any visual artists on these lists, just musicians and some actors etc

I had a lot of fun designing this one. I've mentioned it here on this blog before, but one of the reasons I have found it so satisfying to keep creating these panels is that I get to draw a lot of different things all the time. 

This is leavened amongst the usual cast of repeating characters, but every so often a new species makes an appearance. Or in the specific case of a whale, rare enough to merit some reference sketching beforehand. 

And I continue to be impressed with the full-color print job in the monthly glossy magazine - this in conjunction with the visual real estate being taken up by the feature. Thanks again for reading and see you next issue...

No comments:

Post a Comment