Saturday, September 21, 2013

"Alaska's Deadliest Kvetch"


My first (and probably only ever) Jewish gag, lovingly dedicated to my Aunt Perry who I miss terribly: everybody, especially any artist with self-esteem issues, should have an Aunt like her on their side. The value of someone only a phone-call away that will champion your cause, ceaselessly lobby on your behalf and who always has your back is often the foundation of many a funny, the bedrock of belief in oneself. It means a lot.
A man is on his first visit to Maine, and he wants to try some of that delicious New England seafood that he'd long heard about. So he gets into a cab, and asks the driver, "Can you take me to where I can get scrod?" The driver replies, "I've heard that question a thousand times, but never in the pluperfect subjunctive."


Don't watch TV, never saw the show, or any of the pop culture mythos of Alaska like Ice Road Truckers, Into The Wild, The Bear Whisperer or The Quitter's surreality shows or whathaveyou.


Probably being positioned on the periphery helps with perspective: it's all good grist for the mill, my own dubious contributions aside.

No comments:

Post a Comment