Monday, August 9, 2010

Collaborative Pages/"Moving On"




Right before the day when everyone's scripts were due I realized it would probably be prudent, based on experience, that I should bang out a back-up. A high percentage of artists are control freaks, even moreso for comic artists, then factor in the death-grip of a teacher who maps out the smallest detail in lesson plans and you have a recipe for total disaster. So to have a missing link in what's ideally an unbroken chain of interrelated projects throws everything outta whack. Also since there were actually two slack-ups on this particular stage, another student saved me by overachieving and bringing in two scripts - instant gold star. 
I had been mulling over some major, upcoming changes about to occur in my own life (more on all that later), and just went with an almost stream-of-consciousness piece. Cryptic and open to interpretation on multiple levels, and I honestly tried to not steer the evolution into my preconceived ideas of what it should specifically look like. Besides, as I warned them all beforehand - don't expect to see it on the page if you didn't write it in the script to begin with. And true to form, as a primarily visual artist, I had long fallen out of the habit of being equally descriptive by using only words.


“MOVING ON” - Page 1 (5 Panels)   
Jamie Smith, 2010 nuggets@alaska.net
PANEL ONE:
Establishing horizontal shot of a transfer site with overflowing dumpsters
Caption 1: “SEEMS LIKE ALL MY LIFE I’VE BEEN HEARING THAT I’VE  
                 “THROWN IT ALL AWAY”
Caption 2: AND NOW I FIND MYSELF DOING IT AGAIN…
Caption 3: … BUT THIS TIME IT’S FOR REAL.”
PANEL TWO:
Medium shot of a bookcase crammed with ephemera
Caption One: “MY GRANDFATHER’S GARCIA MITCHELL 300C SPINNING 
                        REEL… THAT RATTY OLD BLANKET…
Caption Two: …UNREAD BOOKS …WORN-OUT CLOTHES & MEMORIES.”
PANEL THREE:
Medium shot of boxes and suitcases
Caption One: “LETTERS FROM LOVERS LEFT & LONG LET GO…
Caption Two: … AND THE BAGGAGE I NEVER CLAIMED.”
PANEL FOUR:
Close-up of pair of hands holding a cup of tea in a cracked ceramic mug
Caption One: “ALL THE MISCELLANEOUS CRAP…
Caption Two: … THAT I NEVER GOT AROUND TO FIXING”
PANEL FIVE:
*no panel borders, just open and empty but for three falling/fallen leaves
(and caption boxes)


Caption One: “WHATEVER WORKED AT THE TIME…
Caption Two: …HAS ALWAYS BEEN GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.”




No comments:

Post a Comment