Friday, November 27, 2009

Yappers: Palin/Beck 2012 (updated X2)


Along the lines of the chorus of crickets from the rabid fan base over Palin's recent violation of the US Flag Code (feigning faux outrage over sexism instead), there'll be equally deafening howls of protest at one of the holy triumvirates in conservatism showing his unadulterated true colors. Glenn Beck, leering along with Limbaugh and O'Reilly at Palin's second coming, dropped his Vapo-Rub for a second and put this uppity woman in her place:

BECK: I don’t think things are hoots. I don’t. I don’t think it’s a hoot. I would never use the word hoot, and I respectfully ask that every time my name is brought up she would stop using the word ‘hoot.’ [...]No, no I’m just saying — Beck-Palin, I’ll consider. But Palin-Beck — can you imagine, can you imagine what an administration with the two of us would be like? What? Come on! She’d be yapping or something, and I’d say, “I’m sorry, why am I hearing your voice? I’m not in the kitchen.”


"I was just thinking, what, I'm going to take a back seat to a chick?" Beck quipped, to laughter from the studio. "Go shoot a bear, make some stew, I'm hungry in here."
Well, so much for the honeymoon, and scratch one name off the V.P. short-list.

Palin, who has been a vocal, outspoken supporter of Beck in the past and having "great respect" for him, will now no doubt add another name to the blacklist of eager media whores vying for her attention. That this gang is a bunch of misogynistic, racist bigots who aid & abet extremist "patriotism" with their rhetoric of lies and hate is well documented, but it never ceases to surprise those who lie down with dogs when the mask of opportunism slips, and it turns and bites the hand feeding it.

And I've always been curious at the cognitive dissonance required in cheerleading someone who goes against dogmatic biblical injunctions; one the one hand you have the Timothy 2:12/Corinthians 14:35 crowd, which stands in righteous opposition to a woman who repeatedly and in no uncertain terms refuses to "sit down and shut up." Reconciling a fundamentalist position with a contemporary, liberated woman's role in society takes a bit of impressively selective hypocrisy.

But now that's change we can believe in...

*Update: Well, that didn't take long - see, it's a joke. Ah. Works for me.
*Update II: Panel cross-posted @ Mudflats - welcome folks, always glad to see more muck trackers! Also take a sec and vote for Mudflats over at the Blogger's Choice Awards, it's been nominated for "Best Political Blog" !

“He calls it like he sees it, and he's very, very, very effective” - Palin on Beck

No comments:

Post a Comment