Sunday, October 22, 2017

"No Bears"


A lot of the cartoons that I draw are over and done with really quick. This includes the reading of/looking at, as well as also in its creation, as in it doesn't take much time to render at any stage: from conception, doodle, pencil, ink, shade, edit and prep for publication.


All this to say on occasion one come across the sketchbook that takes a LOT more time, particularly to draw. But it's an opportunity to really get into the panel, to lose yourself in the lines. 
That's probably the closest this medium comes to in so far as what ranks as a comparatively long investment of time + attention in other mediums, like say painting, sculpture, ceramics, metalsmithing etc. Close, but still not as much - there are times I have to remind students or folks watching a demo that it's only with experience that you can knock out a finished drawing as fast as it might appear from the perspective of anyone who doesn't do it themselves on a regular basis. What seems quick to them, is an infinity to me.


Something else really subtle that I pick up on with a very small number of random folks (interestingly enough a high percentage of whom happen to be other artists) who get a peek at the process, especially when looking at the inking of the original: their eyes linger across, around and into the piece. I can tell they aren't just doing the usual superficial visual/perceptual consumption. Like they are really looking.

6 comments:

  1. Looks like a Birdsall above the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh: It's swiped from "The Humble Beaver" panel
      http://inksnow.blogspot.com/2011/05/humble-beaver.html
      ... which appeared in my first book of collected cartoons way back in 1990 - which coincidentally Byron actually wrote some very kind words for:
      "This happy little book, very funny & purely Alaskan, got four thumbs up at our house. A pithy playing with puns has promoted Jamie to the front ranks of Alaska humorists"

      Delete
    2. Oh, I'm embarrassed that I didn't recognize it. I clipped that toon from either the News-Miner or Sun Star in '93 and had it tacked to my dorm room wall for years.

      Delete
    3. Bonus points if you I.D. the other artist though: my cartooning hero whom I frequently extol the virtues of... and always have a calendar hanging in the cabin each year!

      Delete