Monday, November 2, 2009

Rip-Off Artists III


Since I have a perverse, sometimes morbid attraction to strange art by strange people, I just had to click through the eBay auction of prison art to benefit the legal defense of Scott Roeder, pro-life assassin. He commissioned fellow inmate Jason Dubrowski ("...one of the best artists I’ve seen in here") to do a few drawings which Roeder personally signed. The auction has now been suspended, but there's still some examples floating around the intertubes.

While I'm not personally too worried about the charges of glorifying violence with these illustrations, but one of them did trip a red flag - reminded me of an oh, slightly similar composition drawn by syndicated cartoonist Gary McCoy...


Damned if that don't look familiar. At least the clouds have moved. Given the proclivities of the original artist I'll guess there won't be much if any protest over the, eh, homage.
Plus I'm guessing folks who support gunning people down they disagree with probably wouldn't have much of an ethical dilemma over ripping off other folks artwork.
Or with really bad satire.



"When people are laughing, they're generally not killing each other." - Alan Alda

No comments:

Post a Comment