Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Frozen Food

If it is any use to know it, I always try to write on the principle of the iceberg. There is seven-eighths of it under water for every part that shows. Anything you know you can eliminate and it only strengthens your iceberg. It is the part that does” - Ernest Hemingway

Another image from the old folklore book that set the mental wheels in motion: a watercolor by artist George Halm illustrating a fable about a whale being frozen 250 feet up inside an iceberg . My take on the scene is'nt too far remixed from the original composition, just done more or less in my own style. The caption took some mulling over: running the gauntlet of stock gags about tip-of-the-iceberg, frozen food, iceberg lettuce, global warming etc. but after chasing the funny-tail around and around for days of idle punning, I ultimately made the decision to leave it blank and just let the drawing stand on its own.
Story of my life - sometimes ridiculous situations really don't need any more explanation. Okay, nevermind: more like I always change my mind and think I gotta add just one more thing...

"Who bothers to cook TV dinners? I suck them frozen." - Woody Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment