Saturday, September 19, 2009

In Through the Outhouse

HANK: You're like a pioneer, Chappy.
CHAPPY: I live in a shack, I poop in an outhouse, I eat what I kill. Let the grid go down, Lord, I don't need it.
- King of the Hill ("Hillennium")


It occurs to me just how fertile a creative wellspring the lowly outhouse really is: I've referred to it on many an occasion here on the blog in light of it's inspirational capacity, and also mention it as my personal gallery where the best art becomes enshrined (second only to the refrigerator).



"The first draft of anything is shit." - Ernest Hemmingway

Not to flog the metaphor to death, there's one final, functional and practical aspect that bears repeating: long before dealing with any artsy-fartsy shit, one first has to put i the time and energy digging oneself a hole.

There's far better ways to describe the creative process, but in the end, it all comes out the same. When it's done, after investing sweat-equity, there'll be plenty of time to produce great works... monumental even.



"When all is shit - become a fly." - Josh Holman

No comments:

Post a Comment