Sunday, April 5, 2020

Mullings: Jokers & White Dogs


More than half the time I have no idea whatsoever why certain people are in popular culture. Don't know who, nor care. Guess I'm doing my part fomenting the upcoming class war. What with current events such as they are, things are pretty stressful. Behind the scenes there’s almost like a desperate race to work harder and faster to get out ahead of anything bad. That might be why the faster you go the harder the speedbumps feel.



Like the majority of Americans I’m one accident away from complete disaster, whether it’s health, transportation, or the like. Like most other Americans stretching paycheck to paycheck is a constant shadow on the shoulder. I’m fond of toting how artwork pays the rent, but as my wife astutely points out, there’s a hell of a lot of other bills (utilities and the like).


I can’t for the life of me wrap my head around why health care isn’t THE issue. Pretty sure most of the folks who don’t see it that way ever have to struggle with the uncertainty and insecurity that more and more of us stare down the barrel of every damn day.

“A fire broke out backstage in a theatre. The clown came out to warn the public; they thought it was a joke and applauded. He repeated it; the acclaim was even greater. I think that's just how the world will come to an end: to general applause from wits who believe it's a joke.” ― Søren Kierkegaard, Either/Or, Part I
Still, in honor of the anonymous dog who came and went, we will do our best to carry on.
“things are so easily lost.
things just can’t be kept forever.”

- Bukowski, The White Dog (What Matters Most Is How Well You Walk Through The Fire, 1999)

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, alone.

    I lived 47 years in Alaska and while I love & miss the place, I am damned pleased to live in the UK where health care is FREE at the point of care. Yes, we pay about 5% of income in taxes for it all until 65, and all through life there is no co-pay, no life limits, you can see the doctor now, same as everyone. That is EVERY ONE OF US.

    It has made a huge difference in our lives and it's turned out to be one of the best things we did in leaving the USA. I should mention other reasons to leave might have something to do with the absolutely crazed gun-world too many inhabit there (I came from a hunting family that believed semi- and fully-automatic weapons belonged to the military alone), along with a steel-fist & glove Republican Party leadership that truly believes it alone must preserve & protect the United States and its values.

    Well, it isn't for Americans who want alternatives to 'go-it-alone' individualism at any price and all of watching the Judas-betrayal of Christian teaching by those who say D. J. Trump is 'called of God'. (Heck, I am writing this on Easter.)

    Ok, after that little puff of anger, I'll say thanks for your drawings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thank you for commenting (I took a while moderating on account of being temporarily overrun with “My name is Dr Aziba Herbal Remedy is 100% guarantee for Penis Enlargement with no side-effect”)
      Your not the first instance of friends who have lately pulled up stakes and relocated purely on account of health care, and there's a whole host of other societal benefits + bonuses as well. I say congrats and wish we could follow sooner than later - it is a dream.
      And yeah there is a peculiar role-reversal that happened to conservatives who formerly championed many good, common-sense principles, on of the main one being protection of the land, water and air. Boy have things gotten all mixed up, abandoned and sadly ruined now.

      Delete