Sunday, November 11, 2018

"Frontier ATMs"


Got the original idea for this while walking with a group of students on a field trip through Alaskaland Pioneer Park. There is an actual ATM right besides one of the historical log cabins, and I made an offhand comment about it, and a student added something about depositing a pelt (he wound up getting the original pencil doodle which I made while they were off sketching stuff).

On a behind-the-scenes note, I deliberately left off any of the usual textural details after inking up the panel, which - like this other classic - just screamed for massive hatching, cross-hatching, scumbling and stippling. Instead I went for more of a softer, cartoony feel by using gradients alone. I'll probably use the original line drawing as a future demo on how to apply texture with pen + ink.

No comments:

Post a Comment