Saturday, April 28, 2018

Editorial: Creamer's Field... and "Hunting Preserve"


Long-time readers will understand the importance that I personally hold for this community resource: I regularly take my art classes on field trips here, participate in fundraising activities, take walks on the trails, oh, and then there was just recently this little event.

So one can imagine my consternation at the meddlesome stupidity of (republican, natch) politicians:
"The names should be changed to emphasize the importance of hunting in these refuges, said Sen. Cathy Giessel, R-Anchorage, at the final meeting of the Alaska Senate Resources Committee."

Even a namesake of the place has a problem with this:
I cannot stand by quietly and let a politician from another community dictate how we refer to what our local community has worked so hard for so many years to establish as a jewel in the heart of the Interior. It is, has been and always will be the “Creamers Field Migratory Waterfowl Refuge.”
I had originally spent several hours wracking my brain trying to come up with a euphemism for "asshole politician habitat" (the original caption for Juneau) that would be perhaps more appropriate (if not printable).
Then I recalled the legacy label... lest we forget. Nothing's changed but the words on the hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment